List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Vector format/metafile for KOffice (Re: [Karbon14] misc)
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2002-10-31 14:41:24

On Thursday 31 October 2002 09:06, Vadim Plessky wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 October 2002 11:28 pm, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> |  On Wednesday 30 October 2002 19:02, Vadim Plessky wrote:
> |  > |  I think the problem is solveable, but there currently is a
> |  > | packaging problem.
> |  > |  There exist several parts which exists and could be used, but they
> |  > | would hae put together.
> |  > |  There are some missing features, like the missing support for
> |  > | styles in KSVG.
> |  >
> |  > Is it really so difficult to implement support for styles in SVG?
> |
> |  I suppose that it is the same problem as for KWord's HTML import filter:
> | how do you know the result of all stylesheets on a single element.
> |
> |  You have no help to do this. QDom and libxml2 have no CSS support. And
> | KHTML keeps jealously its CSS results for itself and do not support the
> | DOM method that would be interesting in this case. (Last time I looked in
> | it, it was a dummy.)
>
> I think CSS Rules are  implemented already for some time (David Faure did
> this, IIRC), and you have access to CSS rules via DOM methods.

The rules, yes. The result of all those rules on a single element, no! (If KDE
3.1 could do this in the meantime, that would be really great.)

However, I suppose that KHTML does it somewhere for itself. So why can it not
export it?

> Anyway, CSS model is rather "transparent" (it's not  completly broken HTML4
> model).
> So, even building CSS renderer for *valid CSS/XML* is not extremly
> difficult task.  Note that you want to use CSS 2.1 specs (which fix a lot
> of issues in CSS 1.0 and 2.0)

I am not writing that it is impossible. I just tell that it is not trivial.
And I wonder why we must do again work that KHTMl does already for itself.

(...)

Have a nice day/evening/night!