List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Vector format/metafile for KOffice (Re: [Karbon14] misc)
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2002-10-31 8:06:09

On Wednesday 30 October 2002 11:28 pm, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
|  On Wednesday 30 October 2002 19:02, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|  > |  I think the problem is solveable, but there currently is a packaging
|  > |  problem.
|  > |  There exist several parts which exists and could be used, but they
|  > | would hae put together.
|  > |  There are some missing features, like the missing support for styles
|  > | in KSVG.
|  >
|  > Is it really so difficult to implement support for styles in SVG?
|
|  I suppose that it is the same problem as for KWord's HTML import filter:
| how do you know the result of all stylesheets on a single element.
|
|  You have no help to do this. QDom and libxml2 have no CSS support. And
| KHTML keeps jealously its CSS results for itself and do not support the DOM
| method that would be interesting in this case. (Last time I looked in it,
| it was a dummy.)

I think CSS Rules are  implemented already for some time (David Faure did
this, IIRC), and you have access to CSS rules via DOM methods.

Anyway, CSS model is rather "transparent" (it's not  completly broken HTML4
model).
So, even building CSS renderer for *valid CSS/XML* is not extremly difficult
task.  Note that you want to use CSS 2.1 specs (which fix a lot of issues in
CSS 1.0 and 2.0)

I am not sure,though, which version of CSS is used in SVG.

|  > |  Another related problem to this is that a SVG file can be assembled
|  > | by linking several external files, like an external CSS file or orther
|  > | embedded links. This could
|  >
|  > Of course! Thats' why I need support for styles.
|  > I put definition for color schemes in extrenal CSS stylesheet, and all
|  > SVG icons use this extrernal stylesheet.
|  > Either by substituting this stylesheet with abothe rone, or twekaing
|  > references in SVG files via DIM, you change appearance of your desktop
|  > ;-)
|  >
|  > |  become difficult, if you want to store the SVG content inside a
|  > | KoPicture.
|  >
|  > What's the problem to bzip2 all stylesheets and put them in XML wrapper?
|
|  I would very much prefer something that still uses the normal KOffice file
|  format.

me too :-)

|  And BZIP2 was considered not portable enough (at least in the past.)

yes, I am aware that KOffice changes to zip.
And now all my KWord files almost doubled in size :-)
// but they are still ok, comparing to MS Word .doc files

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)
http://kde2.newmail.ru/kde_themes.html
KDE mini-Themes