List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Vector format/metafile for KOffice (Re: [Karbon14] misc)
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2002-10-30 7:56:39

On Tuesday 29 October 2002 4:02 pm, Dirk Schönberger wrote:
|  > No, he is meaning that you can use EPS as *picture* in KWord/KPresenter.
|  > (Sure, mostly you get a pixmap.)
[...]
|  There still exist the QPicture, containing the calls to the render API
| which were used
|  to render the image? This meta file can later be replayed on another
|  QPainter.

I think another level of abstraction is needed, I would say - *required*,
here.
let's forget about numerous often incompatible vector and semi-vector formats
floating around. It's really not necessary to have different formats all
together, and provide diffferent rasterization methods for those.

I think KOffice should use one common Vector Metafile format (which *can* have
raster images inside as well, BTW).
There is no need to reinvent the wheel.
SVG has all necessary features of such metafile format, and even more.

So, I think following should happen:
a) SVG inserted into KWord doc is saved as SVG, without conversion/dta loss.
b) WMF or EMF inserted into KWord/KOffice converted automatically to SVG, and
saved as SVG.
c) when document is exported from KWord to MS Word .doc format -> SVG is
converted to WMF or EMF (checkbox in Export as MS Word dialog)

|  Is a KWord picture more sucha meta file, ore merely a QImage where the
| ector data, like EPS, isn't discarded?

I hope KWord would use SVG as metafile :-)

|  Would it be useful to be able to "export" a Karbon document to a
| "picture", and vice versa?

Karbon should export just SVG, amy be with different  options for SVg details
(number of digits for floating point, use ENTITY or CSS or inline 'style'
attribute, etc.; see Adobe Illustrator SVG Export plugin/dialog for more
info)

|  Would it be possible to use the IMHO more powerful rendering model of
| Karbon for other Office applications? This could mean that that Painter API
| should be extended, because it is not really complete?
|  This would also allow that a KWord picture could contains calls for the
| more advanced VPainter API instead of the current QPainter API (if it
| really is a QPIcture)

I think this VPainter should go into kdelibs, if it is complete/as powerful,
as you say.  Konqueror badly needs previewing capability for different vector
formats. And I beleive other apps (outside KOffice) would like to use such
powerful API, too.

On the other hand, I'd like to see SVG support implemented first.
ksvgtopng can't manage to render rather trivial SVG drawings.
I hope VPainter you mentioned above is more powerful than KSVG.
Rob: can you confirm this?
Can KSVG or latest Karbon buils handle  SVG examples
(created in Adove Illustrator 9) which I uploaded to:
http://freetype.newmail.ru/svg/
(files to download are available in "list mode")

|  Regards
|  Dirk

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)