List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: [Karbon14] Re: Re: Re: misc
From:       kudling () kde ! org
Date:       2002-10-29 7:42:16

> Just to point out; all usability studies, and most graphics artist agree that
> the GUI of Adobe Illustrator is a the worst in usability on the market.

Then all applications should stop copying it's interface. To be honest i
was pretty productive 4h after first contact with it. In KDE i still
waste much time searching for the stuff i want and that after 5 years
using it.

> First about the current toolbox widget.
> The 2 column (or 2 row if you dock it at the top/bottom) is therefor no problem
> IMO, and just what lots of people expect.

Agreed. The big problem here is the technical solution. Dirk wants the
buttons to be kactions...

> > You don't need to, since you have dockers/dialogs with tabpages.
>
> If you choose to access a config via a dialog, the action to access that
> dialog should be in the menu.  This is like that in all KDE applications,

It is, except for the tooloptions, but that will change for sure. No
need to discuss this.

> If you want to do it in a docker; then do so via actions. So the docker (which
> should be a toolbar) can be configured normally.

Hm, but a docked toolbar with tabpage looks rather silly.

> implementation if you have to follow the KDE rules. For example I really like
> the idea of dockers!
> A point I made last week stands though, a user WILL still expect the defaults
> to be usable. So a docker should just be a toolbar for maximum conformaty.

So we get the optimal result if karbon14 wasn't a koffice program.
Mental note made...

> For example I implemented the toolbox to use a grid, but it is still a
> toolbar!  If Dirk then wants a number of toolbars that have the actions
> formatted via the xml toolbars. Let him!

How with 2 columns/rows?

> The only change is that the toolbuttons used currently should be KActions.
> Is that a problem?

Yes. Tell us how to plug kactions into a ktoolbar with a gridview.

Bye
Lenny