List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Re: Re: [Karbon14] Re: Re: Re: misc
From:       Dirk_Schönberger <dirk.schoenberger () sz-online ! de>
Date:       2002-10-28 14:36:50

> > Why there has to be a qgridwidget inside? I see the supposed
multi-column
> > display of the karbon UI as the first custom extension I would like to
get
> > rid of.

> Because i like it this way and all other graphic apps have it too.

And my other _Office apps_ doesn't have it, so?
I think the only graphics apps which uses multi-column toolbar are the Adobe
products. Products which aren't renowned for the platform style guide
compliancy, no?

> > There is a distinction between a (hardware) input device and a mandatory
> > custom GUI widget, you know...

> I really see no point in following the rule "everything should be
> accessible via the menu with keyboard usge only" for a action/tool which
> obviously makes no sense without a mouse. You cannot expect to paint a
> Mona Lisa without brushes but with a typewriter.

The seem to exist people which use even menus with the mouse. The point is
that there should be a way to access every item of functionality from a
common GUI element.
All modern GUI applications have a menubar, and a toolbar with the _user
selected_ mostly used functionality.

_Application selected_ toolbars and custom GUI are not so common (and
rightly so)
Becuase things like "change stroke properties" and "change fill properties"
aren't implemented as KActions, it isn't possible to create truely useable
toolbars.
Features like "create a star shape" or "create a sine curve shape" I would
rather have only in the menu, because my use for these items is rather
small. More so if I can't change the context properties of such a shape (say
the number of points of a star) on an already created object.

Regards
Dirk