List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Clipart dialog
From:       Benoit Vautrin <benoit.vautrin () free ! fr>
Date:       2002-10-23 7:49:18

On Wednesday 23 October 2002 09:28, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> hi Benoit...
>
> On Tuesday 22 October 2002 03:53, Benoit Vautrin wrote:
> > Ok, here is the current state of my work:
>
> first: it looks quite capable and feature rich; the sort of things that an
> office suite really needs.
>
> some thoughts and questoins:
>
>  o what do the five buttons below the clipart list stackwidget do? they are
> just blank icons and have no descriptive text?

Those are here to allow the user to add/remove collections and categories.

>  o the Ok and Cancel buttons should be below everything else. are you not
> using KDialogBase?

Ok, I'll change that. I wanted to gain space for the stackwidget.

>  o note that stackwidgets tend to take up a lot of space when you have a
> lot of items in them. if you don't see there being too many then this
> probably isn't an issue (in your shot there are three: Search, klipart and
> My cliparts (should be 'My Clipart'?))

I don't think that there will be much items. For the moment, there is Klipart
and, if the user wants it, its own clipart collection (Name chosen when
creating it, it's not something hardcoded ). And yes, "My Clipart" is better
;).

>  o the groups lsited in the stackwidget (e.g. objects, people..) take up a
> LOT of space because they use large icons. would a simple list with smaller
> icons next to them not be a bit better use of space? it would allow more
> groups to be visible at once, making for quicker access.

I'll see what I can do. But it really looks better when the dialog as a bigger
size. I reduced it to take the screenshot.

>  o i don't know what you have planned for the search UI exactly, but if it
> is just a single lineedit, does it really need to be a part of the
> stackwidget? it confuses the point of the stackwidget since it holds both
> clipart catalogs (such as klipart) as well as ways to search through them
> (Search). if the search UI isn't complex, perhaps think about making it
> more accessable

The search UI isn't complex and appear in a dialog box. What you find in the
Search header of the stackwidget is "categories" made from the results of
your searches.

>  o the title above the clipart iconview (in the screenshot "objects" with a
> large icon) might be a bit redundant? the list of groups on the left should
> show which one is selected by highlighting the currently chosen group. this
> allows getting rid of the group name above the icon view, giving the icon
> view more space.

Yes and no... I've written it like that to clearly show where you are and
display a comment on the category. When you use *.desktop files to describe
your categories, the text displayed there can be different from the one in
the stackwidget. Moreover, I've used a KoKoolBar for it and it doesn't show
which item is selected...

>  o in the iconview i see that there are little minipreviews. your email
> says this is controllable via the ctor of the class. that's very cool. i
> suppose that by default the iconview is larger and you just sized the
> window down for the screenshot?

Yep. see before ;)

>  o i wonder if the splitter is really needed or if it just adds visual
> noise? it might also be nice to add some more info above or below the
> automatic preview such as the name, size (kb primarily; size in pixels if
> not vector format), etc of the currently select clipart ... and since this
> is a clipart dialog, is it necessary to have the "Automatic preview"
> checkbox? it would require some user testing, but i wonder how often people
> will actually need/want to turn it off... if that number is low then that
> checkbox is probably unecessary.

Additional info is worked on (using KFilePlugins). For the "Automatic preview"
thing, I agree with you but used it like that anyway because it's what the
user finds in the kde file dialog...

Thanks for the feed back !

bye,
	Ben.