List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: kugardesigner
From:       lucijan <lucijan () gmx ! at>
Date:       2002-10-04 12:02:33

On Friday 04 October 2002 00:50, Alexander Dymo wrote:
> > 1.	make kugar-designer part-based
> > this is because i want to embedd it as reportdesigner for my current
> > project kexi (http://luci.bux.at/projects/kexi) - which is a database
> > administartion tool using backends as well as a embedded file-based SQL
> > engine (www.cql.com)
>
> Part-based kudesigner is now in early stages of development (mainly because
> I am new to all that kparts/KoApplication/etc. stuff).
> I will commit it to cvs on saturday evening (I hope it will work then).
> App will use KoChooseTemplateDia to select paper. Undo/redo with
> KoCommandHistory is planned.
wow, that is good... one thing less to do

> > 2.	no items selectible
> > i think the canvas should have 8 nodes around to modify size and so on,
> > insted of having a big black rect in the lower right corner. this seems
> > to be very unusal to most users. using the traditional way has several
> > good properties: e.g. copy and paste is possible and new properties can
> > be applied to more than one item.
>
> Agreed.
>
> > 3.	properties should be more informative
> > til now the property window is containig a QTable. but i don't know if
> > average users know what color is (99,0,0) and what id has dotted lines,
> > since this is the way people have to set properties. i plan to make
> > several editors, so people can quickly see what value is set.
>
> Great!!!

hm... as i see you take your own implementation of QVaraint, why?

> BTW, I want to make property editor a docked window with realtime reaction
> for property changes. How do you think?
>
> > 4.	parts should be able to be moved with drag and drop
> > if you e.g. create a report header, you have to set manualy the height in
> > pixles. i want to make them movible with drag and drop, what would to be
> > a bit faster and more "imaginative", but also manual, what is good if you
> > want to set it exact
>
> May be small tabs will be good addition to report sections (report items
> often overlaps section labels - it is hard to find the relevant):

uhm, don't get what you mean, could you paint it in gimp? :)

there's another thing i've done which seems to be quite usefull because one
sees the pageborders better, look at the attached picture, to see what i mean

cu lucijan