List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [Karbon14] Out of order undos, tools
From:       Dirk_Schönberger <dirk.schoenberger () sz-online ! de>
Date:       2002-09-25 19:56:08

> Hmm; I have seen software that did this before and they were incredibly
slow
> and memory consuming.

> While the idea seems nice; what happens when you hit 10000 actions? The
> usability of the idea just returned to zero.

> IMO a much better approuch is to use the long time idea of a CVS-like
> repository for your file. This means that the user can revert to any point
in
> time where the document was saved.
> It is a much more powerfull idea since in this case the user will actually
be
> able to use it :)
> That is; it stays speedy and you won't have to load a million action
objects
> for a 3 weeks old project.

I don't know. I like my documents to be easily transferable. If I have to
store them
in a special repository, it somehow it's againts its purposes.
I think there are uses for this approach, like in a Document Management
System.
This doesn't mean that it should be implemented on a per-application basis.

And I don't think we need 10000 actions per document. The actions should be
saved purely if the user say so (similar to the Quick Save featur, but I
repeat myself).
At some point in time it should be possible for the user to "purge" the
command history, i.e. the actions are removed from the command history and
the document is saved with the new base DOM.
The functionality could be automated like in current Office application,
where you select the whole document and copy it into antother document.
This creates a new document, with the result DOM of the old document as the
new base DOM.

And the actions should be only evaluated while loading the document. If the
document is edited, all actions are executed via the DOM (or its
in-memory-representation)

Regards
Dirk