List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Hierarchical lists (Re: Announcement: wv2 preview)
From:       "Pascal A. Niklaus" <Pascal.Niklaus () unibas ! ch>
Date:       2002-09-12 21:57:21

>It sounds like you want to explicitly mark the end of the list (to stop
>unrelated lists being joined). Maybe it needs a slightly different approach.
>Consider page breaks - there are usually two ways of dealing with these:
>always insert before a particular style (e.g HEAD 1); or insert at a specific
>point in the document. In the latter case, the user doesn't change the style
>of a particular paragraph to insert a page break before/after, they just
>insert a page break "object".
>
>I don't think you can deal with all the numbering beviour you need just by
>using styles. If you think about HTML, you have separate "list start", "list
>item", "list end". I think you can do most of what you need with list styles,
>but you need to allow the user to insert an explicit "end-of-list" or
>"set-numbering-to-n". Your RMB menu to toggle restart/continue/skip numbering
>could do this.
>
>Tim

I agree. However weird, there will be users who will (ab)use lists to
number items across several different chapters, or do something similar...
Maybe this even makes sense?

Would it be possible to give lists an optional name, so that different list
sections could be joined using this name? That would be more flexible than
arbitrarily resetting the list start to something different than 1.

Pascal