List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    [kspread] Excel on year 1900
From:       Ariya Hidayat <ariya () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-09-12 6:35:29

While coding date/time serial number routines for KSpread, I found that Excel
assumes 1900 is a leap year (the truth: it's not, Mar 29, 1900 doesn't
exist). Read this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q181370

Hence, saying that "date serial number is a number of elapsed days since Jan
1, 1900" is therefore misleading, because it's always one day wrong for any
date after Mar 3, 1900. For various reasons, I think we don't have any
choices other than implementing the same intentional bug, as Gnumeric also
does that as well.