List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: UI in KSpread
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2002-09-04 15:33:07

On Wednesday 04 September 2002 11:19, Ariya Hidayat wrote:
> > The size of a cell is predefined and will change when others in its
> > row/col change size. So in real life the default is the 'default'.
> > This fact is so simply you are probably laughing about the above sentence
> > ;) Anyway; it seems quite silly to provide a checkbox that you have to
> > check to get what is allready there when you open it for the first time,
> > so I suggest that the user has to uncheck the checkbox to set the
> > width/height in the first place instead of what is happening now.
>
> Hmm, I'm confused here, although your screen mock-up is good (and long live
> Keramik!).
>
> The fact is that you don't resize (change the dimension) of cell, you
> resize the entire column or row. What means by 'default' in resize row
> dialog is setting the size explicitly to global default row size (which is
> 20, defined in kspread_global.h). There's no difference between checking
> the 'default' and setting row size manually to 20.

Right, but the GUI is about setting the size of a cell. So you are actually
setting the size of the row in the 'cell size' widget. Which is probably the
source of our confusion.
My example wanted to make it more explicit that you _can_ move away from the
default. Which is a different way of looking at the same thing.
Plus that this way to look at it takes away confusion as to what the default
should do.

--
Thomas Zander                                           zander@planescape.com
                                                 We are what we pretend to be