List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: improving speed of painting
From:       John Dailey <john.dailey () dnamerican ! com>
Date:       2002-09-03 16:11:48

On Tuesday 03 September 2002 04:41 am, David Faure wrote:
> > Perhaps memory consumption ? Say we have A1 contains =SUM(B1:C100), how
> > is it the dependency stored in KSpread ? IIRC Gnumeric only maps this A1
> > to range B1:C100 so everytime any cell within B1:C100 is modified, it
> > knows that A1 should be recalc as well. But it doesn't need to store "B1
> > will recalc A1", "B2 will recalc A1", and so on, which easily eat lots of
> > bytes.
>
> (The lookup is much slower then, though. You need to iterate through all
> the dependencies every time a cell changes.)

But we generally have no need to lookup -- when a cell changes you need to
iterate through every cell that depends on it regardless.

Memory consumption might still be an issue though....I wasn't thinking about
that.  I'll definitely keep this in mind.  We can swap the dependancy method
fairly easily, I think, and I don't see this as a major priority.  We can
come back to this after some of the other structural changes are in place.

-John