List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: improving speed of painting
From:       Ariya Hidayat <ariya () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-09-03 6:23:34

> I haven't planned a real reference counting so that the a style does not
> get deleted if a KSpreadLayout still references it. Instead I have a "style
> manager" which maintains all the automatic, builtin and user defined
> styles. (There is no GUI for it yet, so actually you can't change the built
> in ones and can't create your own, but this is just a small step)
Hmm, in this case looking at KOffice style code should be useful. IMHO
real-style is not required to be refcounted (as I have written earlier). It's
not likely that user will have hundreds of almost similar styles. But there's
good chance that some cells shared the same format.

> Also, this is more ment like a first step to start working on it. There is
> still room for improvements, tuning,... I didn't want to have something
> perfect for all aspects from the beginning, because you might never meet
> the end if you try to do that.
I agree. Overall, I like very much what you're doing at the moment, mostly
because it will simplify the code and hopefully not adding more complexity.
OTOH seems that we agree that we must start to think about "performance" for
KSpread 1.3. Gnumeric does very well so there's no reason KSpread can't do
that either.