List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: improving speed of painting
From:       Ariya Hidayat <ariya () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-09-02 5:24:36

> We should probably decide who will do what or likely one of us is wasting
> our time.

Okay, I'll commit this basic KSpreadValue within 3-4 days and we can discuss
about it before starting to modify KSpreadCell. Or, if necessary improve it
first.

> Is this a good idea?  The formula parser definitely needs updating, but one
> major request is the ability to write their own formulas.  For that, we'll
> need more of the parser than is probably worth writing from scratch.
> Perhaps we could use a combination of them both, but I don't think the
> speed of the koscript parser is an issue.

But if you assign a formula from one cell to another, there's always another
parsing process (CMIIW). With the current use of KoScript, I don't think it
can be easily shared among cells.
And I know that dumping KoScript means trouble for  someone who uses it to
write his/her formula. I believe we can work out a solution for this, perhaps
via a generalized plugin so user can even write a customized function in Perl
or Python.

Not in the near future, we might want to incoporate something like a macro
language for all KOffice, say KoBasic. Even there's GB for Gnumeric (although
it's dead now, in favor of all .NET stuff). There's KBasic project but seems
it's slow in development.