List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Sharing widgets
From:       Lenny <kudling () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-09-01 21:03:23

Hi,

now that HEAD is open for new features i'd like to bring up a very important
topic (again): sharing advanced widgets.

Karbon14 needs advanced unit aware widgets soon. The current solutions are
more of a temporary hack:
a) putting the unit names outside of the actual input widget in a external
label
b) the widgets by theKompany go in the right direction, imho. The units are
inside of a spinbox for example, but you are restricted to one unit.

What we need
1) are widgets, especially spinboxes which let you insert insert e.g. "1.5in"
and which then recalculate and display those amount into the domestic unit
"mm" for example.

2) Additionally, we (karbon14) highly need a widget which combines a spinbox
with a combobox, like the ones you can see in most advanced graphic
applications.

Since all of koffice will benefit from that, i think we should discuss and
implement a koffice wide solution.
This might as well include a unified KoPainter (VPainter) solution (anyone
remember those screenshots of transparent excel charts?).

Comments?

Bye
Lenny