List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Karbon's rename (was: Re: Karbon(14) rename to curt)
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2002-08-24 9:53:52

On Donnerstag, 22. August 2002 14:47, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> I am sorry to have to add an item to this flame war.
>
> (For those who do not know what I am writting about:
> In short: Karbon might be renamed into Curt. See:
> http://lists.kde.org/?t=102985579600002&r=1&w=2
> http://lists.kde.org/?t=102986108900003&r=1&w=2 )
>
> As the translators have more or less already written what I think about the
> situation, I will concentrate on the other problems.
>
> My first question is how is it planned to rename the mime type form
> "application/x-karbon" to "application/x-vnd.kde.curt" (including the
> translations of the .desktop file?)

I have perhaps found a (partial) solution for this problem.

As the application name will change, the extension for the file names of this
application should change too. However this makes it a totally new mime type,
which you can define in KOffice instead of in kdelibs.

(Example: if you use my idea Silicium14, you would have *.si14 files for a
"application/x-vnd.kde.si14" mime type (which you could define in the current
karbon/data directory and install from there.))

Additionaly, the translators would be KOffice's ones, so there is also a
problem less there, as they can do the translation of the new desktop file,
while renaming Karbon in their translation.

Then for KDE 3.2 / KOffice 1.3, you could move this new definition into
kdelibs and remove application/x-karbon.

> The mime type is defined in kdelibs, so it must be renamed there. However
> KDE 3.0.3 is already released but was supposed to be the main version for
> KOffice 1.2.

(...)