List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: koffice rc1 bidi tests results (long)
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-08-21 18:51:19

On Tuesday 20 August 2002 20:35, Diego Iastrubni wrote:
> Now select text with the cursor. To make it short: in
> long paragraph text selecting with the keyboard is slow.

Yes, the length of the parag is the main culprit. But since the latest changes
in CVS, the number of lines being repainted has decreased (except when editing
or selecting the first line of the parag, obviously). See the previous discussion on
this list about speed stuff.

> No I expected tab to indent the paragraph instead of traditional tabulation.
It doesn't. That's unrelated to Bidi.
I hate MSWord-like behaviour where <tab> doesn't insert a tab, at the beginning
of a line - how do you insert a tab then?

> While the QT docs specify that it supports two directions, on the real life
> there are three: RTL, LTR, AUTO.
Yes - this is what both Qt and KOffice implement.

> [...]
I know the Qt code, thanks. I ripped it all into koffice ;)

> Good news, kword does implement it. Bad news: it's broken, just because when
> you choose a direction, the AUTO direction is dead.
Well, yes it is. The AUTO direction is mostly useful for setting the correct
direction depending on the first char being typed, automatically.
But if the user uses Ctrl+Shift to choose a direction, I don't see much need for
Auto being selectable again.

> Anyway, if you can, at
> http://www.iglu.org.il, you can find a patched version of OpenOffice (thanks
> to the BIDI department in IBM Israel) which does fully support bidi (and
> nikud which as I understood will be supported in QT3.1). Play with it

Testing is your job, not mine. I have barely enough time to implement things,
it would really be silly for me to test 10 office suites and analyze how they work,
when others (who don't have developer skills) can do that for me. Let's work
together on this.

> I can describe what I want and how should it be implemented but, that's from
> KOffice 1.3.

Yes, file bug reports and wishlists for every thing that's buggy or missing, respectively.
But make sure to test the current CVS first, I've been working all day on RTL stuff.

> >Ah, sorry, now I remember. This is already fixed. I fixed it _after_ RC1.
> Can I suggest another release candidate? two more weeks delay. No more.
> Do you want a product, that will need a small version update in two weeks just
> for fixing that stupid bug? QA is important.

????? The bug is *FIXED*. So why do we need another release candidate?
The fix will be in the final version, that's all that counts, isn't it?

> >CTRL +> or CTRL +< to increase/decrease font size.
> works, but when the QTConfig options are set to RTL languages, and unwanted
> action happens: CTRL+SHIFT changes the direction of the text from AUTO to
> what you chose.

(Personnally, that's why I think those Ctrl+Shift shortcuts really suck. They prevent
a lot of other shortcuts, like Ctrl+Shift+Arrow to select a word, etc.
But Qt implements those because Windows implements those....)

> >CTRL + Key_L : align left
> in kcontrol, this is assigned to "Lock Screen"
?? I press Ctrl+Key_L in kmail all the time, to fetch mail, it surely doesn't lock the screen.

> Suggestion: two keys shortcuts are for applications, while three keys are for
> the environment. Currently there is no standard, and this confuses
> <this> users. It should be passed to kde-devel I think....

Ctrl+<letter> are surely not enough key bindings for all the shortcuts needed
in an application. I would agree with your statement, but practically it's not
possible. (Keep in mind that Alt+Letter is already used, to open menus and
menuitems, and that we can't rely on Meta being available).

Feel free to make a complete consistent proposal for the default key shortcuts
in KWord - I admit this hasn't been really thought overall. Meanwhile, note that
you can also change any key shortcut as you want, using Configure / Shortcuts.

- --
http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david/
KOffice-1.2-rc1 is out. ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/unstable/koffice-1.2-rc1/