List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: koffice rc1 bidi tests results (long)
From:       Diego Iastrubni <iastrubn () actcom ! co ! il>
Date:       2002-08-20 18:35:36

Sorry, this mail will be long as well....
I replied to all the questions asked in the list, and some which were done
privately. Those who asked for some files got it off list. Lets start!

David Faure <david@mandrakesoft.com>  wrote:
>>* selecting text with the keyaboard takes too much time, like the processor
>>is stressing when doing it.
>Strange. Slower than when selecting LTR text?
>How big is the typical paragraph (how many chars, how many lines?)
I managed to track this issue down a little more, to reproduce just type a lot
of letters (in any language, I used Russian, Arabic,  Greek and Hebrew)
without pressing Enter. Now select text with the cursor. To make it short: in
long paragraph text selecting with the keyboard is slow.
Yes RTL was a little slower, but not that much (Arabic and Hebrew showed no
difference).
I could not input Japanese in any kde programs. Ideas?

>* tab key does not indent a paragraph but adds "a few spaces".
>? A tabulation is always a special char, never "a few spaces". Use "View
>Formatting Characters" to see that. But maybe there's a problem in RTL text
>and tabs?
No I expected tab to indent the paragraph instead of traditional tabulation.
Paragraph indent bugs were discussed tough.

>>* no way to choose the direction (not alignment) of a paragraph. currently
>>it is done automagicly by the first char of the paragraph. Works most of
>>the time but not always wanted. Actually this affect all kde.
>... because this is how Qt does it. Take this to qt-bugs if you feel
>it's wrong. Or should KWord do it differently because it has more
>capabilities
>than most simple text widgets/editors? How do other word processors handle
>this? Real "LTR vs RTL" paragraph configuration?
While the QT docs specify that it supports two directions, on the real life
there are three: RTL, LTR, AUTO. By default, QT uses AUTO, and you can change
the direction of the text by pressing CTRL+SHIFT on the side you want to set:
right ctrl+shift will make the dir and align right,  while left alt+shift
will align left and set the dir left, to do this in QTConfig, Interface,
select "Enhanced support for languages written right-to-left".

In QInputLine the align/direction will be for a line (duh...) while in
QTextEdit the implementation changed. Until 3.0.3 (i will not discuss betas
nor alphas, but if you want contact me privately) the direction+align was
done per line, and in QT3.0.3 (or ws it 2?) the implementation moved to
paragraphs. I will copy here a small code which was stolen from
qtextedit.cpp (3.0.3):

    case Key_Direction_L:
        if ( doc->textFormat() == Qt::PlainText ) {
            // change the whole doc
            QTextParag *p = doc->firstParag();
            while ( p ) {
                p->setDirection( QChar::DirL );
                p->setAlignment( Qt::AlignLeft );
                p->invalidate( 0 );
                p = p->next();
            }
        } else {
            if ( !cursor->parag() || cursor->parag()->direction() ==
QChar::DirL )
                return;
            cursor->parag()->setDirection( QChar::DirL );
        }
        repaintChanged();
        break;

And later on you will see a code very similar to the other side as well. I
don't know if QT has API's to read the direction of the text, but if they
have after the release lets talk about it.
Good news, kword does implement it. Bad news: it's broken, just because when
you choose a direction, the AUTO direction is dead. Anyway, if you can, at
http://www.iglu.org.il, you can find a patched version of OpenOffice (thanks
to the BIDI department in IBM Israel) which does fully support bidi (and
nikud which as I understood will be supported in QT3.1). Play with it, and
see what happens (try entering a RTL word and then an LTR word, press the
buttons labeled LTR/RTL and see what happens to the order of the lines).
Office 2000 and XP support this, at least in computers I have seen, those are
the buttons near the alligment that look like a P.

I can describe what I want and how should it be implemented but, that's from
KOffice 1.3.

> > **** bullets and list are still messed up, this is a must for the official
> > version ***
>Ah, sorry, now I remember. This is already fixed. I fixed it _after_ RC1.
Can I suggest another release candidate? two more weeks delay. No more.
Do you want a product, that will need a small version update in two weeks just
for fixing that stupid bug? QA is important.

Laurent Montel <lmontel@mandrakesoft.com> wrote:
>>* keyboard shortcuts missing (I am used to them from ms-word) ctrl+[]
>>decrease or increase font size, ctrl+r, ctrl+l, ctrl+m right justify, left
>>justify, center text.
>CTRL +> or CTRL +< to increase/decrease font size.
works, but when the QTConfig options are set to RTL languages, and unwanted
action happens: CTRL+SHIFT changes the direction of the text from AUTO to
what you chose.

>CTRL + ALT + Key_C : align center
works.

>CTRL + ALT + Key_R : align right
in kcontrol this shortcut is assigned to klipper.

>CTRL + Key_J : align justified
somehow this does not work for me....

>CTRL + Key_L : align left
in kcontrol, this is assigned to "Lock Screen"

Suggestion: two keys shortcuts are for applications, while three keys are for
the environment. Currently there is no standard, and this confuses
<this> users. It should be passed to kde-devel I think....

Philipp <philipp.mueller@gmx.de> wrote:
>thanks for the report.
No problems, me protest and annoy, you fix ;)

>Well, Kspread doesn't even have WYSIWG yet, but it is definitely planed for
What do you mean WYSIWG? I always assumed this has to do with word processors
not spread sheets...

>KO1.3. RTL wasn't even imagined to have in KSpread yet.
We can always blame Lars on this ;)

>So some of the "bugs" are rather wishes.
>Can you do us a favour? Can you add the ones I commented into the Bug
>Tracking system? Please each seperate, so we can check them individually.
Except one (the date function) those are all wishes which I will commit in the
weekend or if I can in the next days, The date will be put as a bug.

>>kspread
>>----------
>>* in excel when a new sheet starts with an RTL letter it's mirrors it self
>>making the first cell in the right and the scroll bar in the left. I did
>>not notice how important it is until I worked in excel which does it. It is
>>important.
>Can you add a wish report?
This will make you puke, trust me.... qt does not implement it yet if I
recall, please contact me privately and tell me about the structure of the
main view, wait a few weeks and I shall help you code it.

>>* inside cells, text starting with hebrew should be right aligned by
>>default the same way that numbers are done. This is the default beheaviour
>>of all qt based programs.
>Can you add a wish report?
Actually I mailed you a few month ago with this wish... never mind...

>>* properties of a cell is alt+ctrl+f, 3 keys for a simple function excel
>>does it with a simpler key combination ctrl+1.
>This you can change on your own: See settings->short cuts.
>But to not forget this, can you add a wish report, so the default is a bti
>shorter?
read my note above, this should apply to all kde apps and should be a standard
in kde. IMHO, of course.

--
Whenever I feel like exercise, I lie down until the feeling passes.