List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Kpresenter memory use
From:       "Pascal A. Niklaus" <Pascal.Niklaus () unibas ! ch>
Date:       2002-07-25 23:19:06

At 09:47 AM 26/07/2002, you wrote:

> > From: Nicolas Goutte <nicog@snafu.de>
> >
> > If you try using KOffice 1.2 Beta 2, you will perhaps gain a little memory
> > but not much.
> >
> > The problem is that each image is stored 3 times (as a QImage, as raw data
> > and as QPixmap.) Additionally in KPresenter, you create another QPixmap for
> > each image to create the effects. (And yes, all these at the loading of the
> > file.)
>
>Well, this is really a big problem of kpresenter, otherwise it's a *very*
>nice
>app. As I created an approx. 30-page presentation all my 128 MB RAM were
>completely used and a considerable amount of swap space.
>It wasn't fast anymore, due to the swapping. So I am not sure whether
>creating
>as much as possible on demand would be really slower in the end.
>
>Maybe some kind of "cache" could help ?
>I.e. only keep up to maybe 10 pages in all three required formats in memory
>(least recently used, most often visited ones,...) and create the others on
>demand.

Is this an architectural problem? If the problem is that KOffice
applications load the whole document with all embedded items when a file is
opened, then this will also become a problem in KWord... at some point
someone will want to write a thesis with lots of embedded graphics (e.g.
eps or jpg files)

Ignoring potential architectural constraints, I think having the embedded
images for the next two slides in memory would really be sufficient, or
maybe the next two and the previous slide. During a presentation, there
should be plenty of time to load the next image while we're talking...
maybe this could be done in a thread with low priority so that it does not
interfere with animations etc? For me, this issue is KPresenter's real
drawback. I can work around what some people think is a poor UI, but if I
have to split a presentation into 4 files it really becomes embarrassing
and I'll have to use WinNT/Powerpoint...

Pascal