On Thursday 18 July 2002 9:14 pm, Seth Kurtzberg wrote: [...] | | Computers using number bases other than 2 have been "coming soon" for well | over 25 years. I suppose it is possible that it will happen, but all the | work, even the esoteric stuff like quantum computing, is implicitly base 2 | technology. When I was studing in University, we had computer doing calculations at base of 3. It was not production machine, and rather promitive, but my pint is - such computers exist! As about optimal base - AFAIK system with 'e' as a base (2.78...) is an optimal, in terms of entropy of informatioin. 3 is more close to 'e' than 2, so it makes sense to move to base 3 system. | | On Thursday 18 July 2002 05:15 am, Nicolas Goutte wrote: | > How do you get the computed values back in the computer in 60 years? | > (Whatever a computer might be or look like in 60 years.) | > | > Be careful that in 60 years the computers will perhaps not work on base | > 2 anymore and that the floating point specifications will perhaps have | > changed too. So if you calculate the values back, you will have other | > rounding errors. I think that this behaviour is not acceptable for at | > least some kinds of documents. | > | > And I suppose that using paper is not acceptable. If the Federal | > Republic of Germany is pushing forward common document formats, I think | > that it is also to lessen the use of paper and microfiches for | > archiving. | > | > Have a nice day/evening/night! | > | > On Donnerstag, 18. Juli 2002 11:08, Seth Kurtzberg wrote: -- Vadim Plessky http://kde2.newmail.ru (English) 33 Window Decorations and 6 Widget Styles for KDE http://kde2.newmail.ru/kde_themes.html KDE mini-Themes http://kde2.newmail.ru/themes/ _______________________________________________ koffice-devel mailing list koffice-devel@mail.kde.org http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/koffice-devel