List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [office_standards] Re: WYSIWYG and a common document file format
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2002-07-22 15:56:31

Hi,

On Monday 22 July 2002 11:54 am, Martin Konold wrote:
|  On Sunday 21 July 2002 10:22 pm, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|
|  Hi,
|
|  > As about WYSIWYG - trick is to make computtaions (glyph widths, word
|  > widths, word positioning, etc.) at resolution of most precise device.
|  > Modern laser alyout systems have about 4000dpi.
|
|  I am wondering how OO handles this issue.
|  Maybe in addition also the dpi setting used for layouting should be stored
| in the file format in order to be able to reproduce the layout even if the
| default dpi setting has changed in the future?

You may want to store not dpi settings (if you read my mail carefully: I
suggest to use same dpi settings for layout on *all* devices; it can be
1440dpi used in KOffice, or 2400dpi, or even 4000dpi...), but initial font
metrics.
Think of AFM files which are coming together with PS fonts.
(you can extract simialr info from TrueType files)
You can store those AFM's, or some part of it, in office document.
Let's suggest you usee Verdana for layout, and stored Verdana metrics.
Than there is another system, which has Arial font, but not Verdana.
In many aspects, Verdana and Arial are similar (same wiight, San-Serif fonts),
so advanced layout engine can take *Arila* glyphs, and layout them using
*Verdana* metrics.
So, you would get same word spacing, same number of sentences, pages, etc. -
but somewhat strange inter-glyph spacing.
AFAIK none word processor on the market, or DTP system, impleemnts such
complex (advanced) layout system.
Adobe tried to do similar things with Acrobat & PDF, but results are not very
impressive so far.

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)