List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: a common document file format and variable fields
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2002-07-18 21:47:08

On Donnerstag, 18. Juli 2002 19:14, Seth Kurtzberg wrote:
> Printing to a file doesn't use paper.  It is just a different file format.

Ah, sorry, I did not understand that you meant "print to file".

> And, the format is not related to the number base used in the machine.  Of
> course the representation of the characters happens to be binary, but that
> reflects the encoding of the file on the media, not the format of the file
> itself.

Then you would also need to define the file format of the "print to file". It
too must be readable in 60 years.

So I think that it is easier to put the effort in only one format, the one
that is machine-processable.

> Computers using number bases other than 2 have been "coming soon" for well
> over 25 years.  I suppose it is possible that it will happen, but all the
> work, even the esoteric stuff like quantum computing, is implicitly base 2
> technology.

Yes, but we are talking about 60 years.

A little more than 60 years ago intelligent line printers used base 10 to do
their additions, substractions, multiplications and (for the most powerful
ones) divisions. Then the computer came with calculations in base 2, which
slowly has replaced them.

So I would not bet anything on what will be the base used in 60 years.

(I am sorry but I do not know if those machines are really called intelligent
line printers in English. In German they are called "Tabelliermaschinen".)

And as I have written, it also depends on the floating point format. If you
will use for example 128 bits to represent it, it will be something else than
using 80 bits. You will get *other* rounding errors.

Have a nice day/evening/night!