List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: WYSIWYG and a common document file format
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2002-07-18 12:47:41

On Thursday 18 July 2002 11:07, Seth Kurtzberg wrote:
> Martin,

Hi Seth!

> I can see why this would be desirable, but I'm not sure that it is
> achievable.  Not technically achievable, but logistically achievable.
> Consider a few "facts of life" with currently available software:
>
> 1.  The display (and also the printed format) change from version to
> version, and, with our friends at Microsoft, from service pack to service
> pack.

What do you mean? If I want to print to an A4 today, I still want to do that
in 5 years.
I don't care HOW its displayed on screen, as long as it displays that my page
stops at a certain sentence.  It should also do this in all versions.
I think there is no technical or logistical problem. Could you specify which
problems you forsee?

> 2.  The displayed text is different among systems that have different fonts
> installed.  You would have to ensure that every machine has some base set
> of fonts, and that different fonts never have the same name.
This is a technical problem and can be overcome.  If only by supplying the
font in the file.

> 3.  The displayed text is sometimes different depending on the size and
> resolution of the monitor.

This sentence tells me that WYSIWYG is simply impossible.  I think that is not
quite true :)  Luckily.

--
Thomas Zander                                           zander@planescape.com
                                                 We are what we pretend to be