List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [RFC] Adding a new filter status
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2002-07-16 21:35:33

On Dienstag, 16. Juli 2002 14:54, Ariya Hidayat wrote:
> > You allready can; thats the 'good'/'beta'/'excellent'/'perfect' stuff
> > for...
>
> These words, however, are subjective interprations of the filter status.

Personally, I would like to remain a little vague for an overall document.
Bugs comes and goes, therefore the real usefulness of a filter varies too.

You can also take the example of KWord's RTF export filter. If it would have
started at, say, 30% in August 2001, it would have fallen to, say, 5%
somewhere in the first half of 2002, to be back at, say,  30%, when I
corrected it. All this can be hidden under "alpha" (It was already good that
it was never "beta".) However, you cannot hide such a thing with a precise
system.

We can think all this over again when we will have enough developers that when
the maintainer cannot work on his filter someone else still helps him to
maintain the filter.

Such a thing works (mostly) with Linux because of the many people involved. I
do not think that it works with KDE (or my patch for floppy:/ would have had
some reaction) and it is even less true for KOffice. I am sorry, but that is
how I see it now.

> How about making tables such as in www.abisource.com/feature_matrix.html ?

Thank you for the address! (It is interesting from AbiWord's point of view.)

Personally, I fail to see how useful it will be for a user to have a table
with many rows (features) and with many many columns (filters).

I do not know how many features KWord or AbiWord has. However the number of
filters is easier to calculate. AbiWord has around 16 import filters and 18
export filters. One day may be we will have as much for KWord... We have
already 11 import filters and 7 export filters for KWord. All this makes the
table for KWord alone already huge.

A user normally does not choose the filter he uses because the filter has many
features, but either because he has a file in this format to import or
because he has to export a file in this format.

> > What about an extra table cell that has a 'completed' bar in there.
> > Expressed in percents.  This way you don't have to downgrade certain
> > filters (never underestimate the psycologocal effects of that!).
>
> Yes, very good. I vote for this !
>
> Ariya

Have a nice day/evening/night!