List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Improving lists
From:       "Tomasz Grobelny" <grotk () poczta ! onet ! pl>
Date:       2002-07-15 20:18:34

you wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Since we are in feature freeze the new feature will have to wait for after
> the 1.2 release.  But thats not problem at all, just more time to get it
right :)

Of course. I see that there are a lot more problems than I thought.

> There are a number of known feature requests in that area that you might
want to
> look at; (Making a summery for myself to look at later as well:)
> - Grouping of numbering styles.
> Each numbering-style is added to a group which can be created by the user.
> Imagine a group for 'table numbers' or 'TOC entry' etc.
> This means that the chapter and list grouping are not top-level anymore. I
think a
> 'never restart numbering' checkbox would be in order there. This does what
chapter-
> numbering does now.
Maybe implement it in RTF like style: There are several lists, each of them
has several levels which contain certain properties (such as type of
numbering, startat value etc.) and paragraphs have only reference to certain
list and to a certain level (in RTF there are 9 levels but I don't see why
(you do't need more usually, but who knows)).

> - A checkbox that allows you to not show the leading numbering. This is
illustrated
> in your other email in this thread; summery;
>     1.
>       1.a)
>     2.
> where the second line is either displayed as '1.a)' or as 'a)' depending
on the
> checkbox.
Well, I thought of a more complicated system: you write a text say "X. Y)"
and define that X is level 1 number and Y level 2 number.

> - Allow an instance of the numbered-style to have a pre-defined number.
This makes
> it possible to start counting at 5, or whatever else you want.
> example:
>       1) bla
>       2) reutel
>     100) big      <- this paragraph has a setting to start at 100.

I don't understand this part. You can set startat value already.

> Furthermore I think you should keep in mind that style-inharitance is
something
> that one day will have to be implemented as well.  This means that you can
create
> a style that _only_ defines a certain part. The rest is defined in another
style
> it is inhariting from.  This makes it easy to maintain a large number of
styles
> and allows a user-friendly solution for the common request for partial
styles.
> I say this since I expect that to be a common request quite parallel to
yours :)

Yes. See my another e-mail.

> I believe the current algoritm allows these extentions to be made without
> rewrite. Some extending should do.

Hope so.

> For the people who know TeX, will the above do?
>

> On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 06:49:42PM +0200, Tomasz Grobelny wrote:
> > In the status of RTF Import filter I posted here yesterday I wrote that
lists
> > need improving. The more I looked at RTF files the more I was convinced
that
> > it doesn't make any sense as long as Kword will not have better list
support.
> > If I wrote this, would it be accepted before releasing 1.2?
> >
> > Tomek
> >
> > PS
> > Last time I did the same with date/time formats. I needed them for RTF
Import
> > filter so I implemented them in KWord.
> Cool :)

Tomek