List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Filter debuging
From:       Werner Trobin <trobin () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-07-08 5:58:49

On Monday 08 July 2002 02:10, Tomasz Grobelny wrote:
> How do I debug a filter? Any tutorials or documents about it?

Just like debugging KParts. The only problem with debugging
parts/filters/dlopened libs is that you can't set gdb breakpoints inside the
filter till its library is loaded.

In case you're hunting a crash I highly recommend using Valgrind
(http://developer.kde.org/~sewardj/). GDB also helps as long as you don't
want to set breakpoints in not-loaded code.
If your code just "misbehaves" somehow I think plain kdDebug statements should
be enough. To make the messages from your filter clearly distinctive you
probably should add a debug area for your filter in
$KDEDIR/share/config/kdebug.areas and kdebugdialog to e.g. pipe your messages
to a file.

Hope that helps,
Werner