List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Announcement: Availability of preliminary Study about document format
From:       Martin Konold <martin.konold () erfrakon ! de>
Date:       2002-06-27 11:26:15

Hi,

as previously discussed the Linux Information Systems AG is doing a study on
office document formats.

The currenty (work in progress) version of the paper is available from

http://www.buug.de/bsi-studie/

Please use the following credentials:
        Username: Reader
        Password: m42tSO+mb

This text is currently in German and we do unfortunately lack the ressources
to translate everything into English.
Maybe this effort can be done after the study is finished.
I am willing to help with translating parts of the documents if strong demands
arrives or if some little help is required with some paragraph.

A bzip2 version of the pdf document will be available soon.

The importance of the study lies partially in the fact that the study is done
for the German government and might have an impact in the European Union in
the near future.

A lot of the discussion about existing and maybe a future common office file
format is currently going on at office_standards@openoffice.org.

Anyone having problems to subscribe to this ml may contact me for help.

- - In the preliminary paper there is an extensive study on the existing
document formats in chapter two.

- - I got the impression that "Save as Web Page.." gives a fairly readable
and nearly perfect rich export of a MS Word document (Some things are lacking
compared to RTF though). What do you think about concentrating on this format
as an exchange format instead of the effort to support the 32bit little
endian doc format?

- - Does anyone have a clue what MS intends to do in the post 32bit future?

- - Is the description of the KOffice XML format correct? Are there any
important things missing?

Yours,
- --martin
- --
Dipl.-Phys. Martin Konold
e r f r a k o n
Germanenstrasse 15, 70563 Stuttgart, Germany
email: martin.konold@erfrakon.de