List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [RFC] Unified pictures in file format (KWord/KPresenter)
From:       Tomasz Grobelny <grotk () poczta ! onet ! pl>
Date:       2002-06-15 22:54:21

On sob 15. czerwiec 2002 23:18, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 15, 2002 at 11:06:45PM +0200, Tomasz Grobelny wrote:
> > On sob 15. czerwiec 2002 22:53, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > > The common format will not restrict you in putting information in the
> > > file. On the contrairy.  You never loose the power of suite A verses
> > > Suite B due to the file format. You however do loose the power of
> > > Frames (from KWord) when opening the file in OpenOffice.
> >
> > But the one who writes still has to make sure that it will look all right
> > in his partners WP. Especially when there is a need for a printout.
>
> Hmm?
> The common file is just that, a common file.
> The reason for a common file format is that you can open 1 file in N
> different WPs without losing information, and the WP will show what it can.

Not losing information is almost impossible (I mean formatting mostly).

> It is explicitly _not_ an export format for 1 package that should open on
> that WP exactly like it shows in KWord.

Maybe I wanted it to be too ideal at first.

> Look at it more like HTML.  One part of the creation is adhering to
> standards, and the other is that the browser has to listen to those
> standards as well. The good part is that you don't have to care about the
> different concepts (x)html and a WP have, so it will actually be a lot
> easier then a good html exporter ever will be.

Editing is much more complex than only showing (we have two creators and two
viewers not 1 creator and 1 viewer). But if you look at common file format
like this it looks more reasonable. What comes to my mind when comparing it
to html is IE only pages. Wouldn't it cause to appear incompatibile
"substandards"? (Maybe I'm trying to look for a hole in this concept...)

Goodnight,

Tomek