List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [RFC] Unified pictures in file format (KWord/KPresenter)
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2002-06-13 12:18:21

On Wednesday 12 June 2002 12:28, David Faure wrote:
> On Monday 10 June 2002 13:51, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > As we have a possibilty to know if we should save for KOffice 1.1 or 1.2,
> > we could change the file format of KWord and KPresenter to have only one
> > type of picture instead of having images and cliparts.
> >
> > I had the idea of:
> > <IMAGE> becomes <PICTURE compatibility="image">
> > <CLIPART> becomes <PICTURE compatibility="clipart">
> > <PIXMAPS> and <CLIPARTS> become <PICTURES>
> >
> > I am sorry to have the idea so late and especially to have lost two days
> > for having tried to make accept a silly patch (and even more time, if I
> > would have found this possibility earlier.)
> >
> > However, as the KOffice 1.2 file format has a huge incompatibility (ZIP
> > files), we could perhaps do this change too, instead of doing it only in
> > KOffice 1.3.
>
> This line of thought isn't entirely accurate, in the line of recent events.
>
> Here are a few facts:
> * There are many problems with the current KWord XML file format
> (uppercase tags, no namespacing, much compatibility stuff, ...) - plus
> the above-mentionned image/clipart distinction, which is only one among
> all the problems.

Yes, KWord's file formats has problems. But we will not get rid of the KOffice
1.2 format that soon.

> * The file format will very probably change after KOffice-1.2.
> The idea would be to adopt a common file format for all opensource office
> suites. Given the work OpenOffice has done in that direction, its file
> format would be a good starting point for that, but work is needed to
> create a real standard, that would also incorporate any features that KWord
> has and OO doesn't have, plus any features that other suites have, plus
> future features, etc. ;)
> This is the idea that we discussed at LinuxTag (the German governement is
> doing a study on this and is apparently willing to help the development
> afterwards).

Well, sorry!  However, I am surprised about this new position, which differ
much from what was written the last time to the Office Standard mailing list.

However, we are always talking about word processors. I have never seen
anything about KPresenter.

> If those (medium/long term) plans come to execution, then the small fixes
> we can make to the current KWord XML have really no importance at all.
> For that reason, I wouldn't suggest spending any time on it.
> If it works, leave it as it is. "Beautifying" the file format can't be done
> with the current one, we need a clean start for that.

Well, I do not try anymore. There are too many traps. Everytime I have an
answer, I have also a new question... Nothing good for a feature freeze!

My idea was not beautifying the format. My idea was that on that point
KWord/KPresenter 1.3's file format would work for the 1.2 version too.

Switching to a total new format can be long, as the filters need to be changed
too. As the manpower for writing KWord filters is well below the one for
KWord, I wonder how we will be able to do it. (If you are wondering about
what I am telling, just look at the KWord's RTF export filter. Half of the
filter is not working because it still wants files in KWord 1.1 format!)

Have a nice day/evening/night!