List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: kde-doc-english digest, Vol 1 #322 - 2 msgs
From:       Jonathan Singer <jsinger () genome ! wi ! mit ! edu>
Date:       2002-06-12 14:47:56

>From: Stanislav Visnovsky <visnovsky@nenya.ms.mff.cuni.cz>
>Subject: [kde-doc-english]Color names localization
>

>KOffice (kofficeui/kotoolbutton.cc) contains a number of "romantic" names
>for colors, such as Goldenrod. These are totally untranslatable, since
>there is no standard for the names.

Believe it or not, goldenrod is a standard color for US paper makers. Any=
 American office worker knows what you mean when you say, "File the white=
 sheet and send me the goldenrod copy." Bisque and Papaya Whip, on the other=
 hand, I'd have no idea what they are.

Anyway, your point is good. The colors seem to be taken directly from=
 rgb.txt, as defined by the X Consortium, so there is a somewhat reasonable=
 Unix basis for declaring 255,248,200 to be "Cornsilk". Anyone know if there=
 are translated versions of that standard for different locales?