List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Call for Interest to Open Source Community - conversion of data
From:       John Hughes <johughes () shaw ! ca>
Date:       2002-06-04 3:31:45

I would support this cause, but I have some suggestions:

Instead of having many direct filters, ie: microsoft->openoffice, why not have
2 classes of filter, one that can filter from many to 1, and another that can
filter from one to many. Then, decide on a format for each medium that can
amalgamate *all* formatting features.

This results in far fewer filters, and as a result, format conversion problems
are allot easier to track.

As far as the format of the filters is concerned, I think that possibly a sort
of language could be conjured up that could filter a document given 2
defenition files (format1->standard and standard->format2). Thus, in order to
implement in an app, all you would have to do is be able to understand these
defenition files.

essentially, more should have to go into the implementation on the app side
then the filter side, so that the filters would be very light, and very os
independant, ie: binary filters would be unnacceptable.

Theres my 2 cents :-)

-John Hughes