List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [patch] remove row/columns from table
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2002-05-24 16:20:52

On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 04:33:24PM +0200, Emmanuel Touzery wrote:
> >Emmanuel;
> >
> >I kind of have a problem with the complete removal of the current select
> >column/row dialog.
> >I think you need some way to do this correctly without just showing a
> simple
> >label.  Maybe a button or radio-button selection 'use selected column/row'
> which
> >does what your dialog does now.
> >
> >Could you look into this?
> >
> >Thanx.
>
> Well, i was actually thinking that we should maybe have altogether a
> different way of selecting rows/cols, like doing a specific action that
> would obviously select the whole row/column instead of being maybe unclear
> with this definition "a row is selected if one of its cells is", though
> somehow now we are clear.
> but i'm still happy with my patch. why do you want to keep the older
> spinbox? i think the user really doesn't want to hear about row numbers (and
> it's even more confusing when you have merged cells that span on two
> rows/cols, as you know, and you're always wondering if it's 1- or 0- based
> etc).
>
> additionnally, having a radio button with two options for something as basic
> as removing a row/col seems to me like over-customizable user interface. it
> will seem very complicated to new users. word does even ask for
> confirmation!
> maybe the right click menu text should be "remove selected rows" and "remove
> selected columns" instead of the current option "remove row" and "remove
> column" (IIRC)?
>
> would you like to keep the current behaviour:
> a/ because you think it's better (in which way?)
> b/ because you're afraid to confuse the user (in that case, would my
> proposal to rename the right click menu be enough?)
>
> emmanuel

Hmm; I'm mainly concerned with the feedback to the user which row is indeed
going to be deleted.

Your above suggestions are quite good; what about (a summary)
- clicking just left/above a row/column selects the whole row/col in the table.
  A different cursor should be shown when hovering there.
If that is too hard we can probably get away with a popup option;
- select row
- select column
when right-clicking on a table cell.

If we then indeed use the terms "remove selected cols/rows" the dialog becomes
obsolete. (since undo works quite good IIRC)

How does that sound to everyone?

--
Thomas Zander                                           zander@planescape.com
                                                 We are what we pretend to be