List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [patch] remove row/columns from table
From:       "Emmanuel Touzery" <emmanuel.touzery () wanadoo ! fr>
Date:       2002-05-24 14:33:24

>Emmanuel;
>
>I kind of have a problem with the complete removal of the current select
>column/row dialog.
>I think you need some way to do this correctly without just showing a
simple
>label.  Maybe a button or radio-button selection 'use selected column/row'
which
>does what your dialog does now.
>
>Could you look into this?
>
>Thanx.

Well, i was actually thinking that we should maybe have altogether a
different way of selecting rows/cols, like doing a specific action that
would obviously select the whole row/column instead of being maybe unclear
with this definition "a row is selected if one of its cells is", though
somehow now we are clear.
but i'm still happy with my patch. why do you want to keep the older
spinbox? i think the user really doesn't want to hear about row numbers (and
it's even more confusing when you have merged cells that span on two
rows/cols, as you know, and you're always wondering if it's 1- or 0- based
etc).

additionnally, having a radio button with two options for something as basic
as removing a row/col seems to me like over-customizable user interface. it
will seem very complicated to new users. word does even ask for
confirmation!
maybe the right click menu text should be "remove selected rows" and "remove
selected columns" instead of the current option "remove row" and "remove
column" (IIRC)?

would you like to keep the current behaviour:
a/ because you think it's better (in which way?)
b/ because you're afraid to confuse the user (in that case, would my
proposal to rename the right click menu be enough?)

emmanuel