List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [KPresenter] UI redesign
From:       Laurent Montel <lmontel () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-04-29 11:54:01

Le Monday 29 April 2002 11:03, Thomas Zander a écrit :
> On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 10:41:02AM +0200, Percy Leonhardt wrote:
> > Hiya!
> >
> > I have a 89k-patch for KPresenter doing the following:
> >
> > - remove configuration-entries for pie, rectangle, picture and polygon
> >   from toolbar and menus
> > - rename 'Configure Pen & Brush' to 'Configure Properties' and move it
> >   in the format-toolbar
> > - make 'Configure Properties' the last entry in all rmb-menus
> > - when selecting one object or several objects of the same kind
> >   (e.g. rectangles or pies) and opening the properties-dialog you will
> > get another tab to configure your rectangle or pie
> > - in styledia.cc moved the configuration for pen and brush into their own
> >   classes ('ConfPenDia' and 'ConfBrushDia')
> >
> > Advantages:
> > - we can completly remove the settings-toolbar and the corresponding
> >   menu-entries
> > - the rmb-menu gets clearer. No 'Configure'- and 'Properties'-entry in
> > it, only the 'Properties'-entry remains.
>
> Takes away confusion from the user b/c the properties dialog(s) now do just
> one thing; change the object you selected.  No more 'Q:I changed the
> properties and nothing happened.  A:you have to select that object first'.
>
> > Disadvantages:
> > - at the moment default-settings are no longer possible (you always have
> >   to select an object to get the configuration-dialog for that sort of
> >   objects)
>
> There are some ways to do this; but after this change is commited we can
> look into which is best. The following comes to mind.
> - on creation show the dialog and save the changes for later creations.
> - add a combo to save a state and allow that to be used in other objects.

It's not very easy to understand it.

> - Simply save the setting each time the dialog is OK-ed and use those
> settings when creating a new object.
No this method is not good, because each time we click ok we save parameter.
=> default parameter will change each time we click ok
=> it's not a default parameter.
=> it's default parameter from last object !

> - take more time to provide sane, hardcoded defaults.

hardcoded defaults ? No good !

no for me it's very important to provide default parameter for object.
With current design we can provide default parameter.
No nobody will understand how to provide default value.

kpresenter use the same method as openoffice, when we don't select a object we
can define default value.

Reagrds.