List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [KPresenter] UI redesign
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2002-04-29 9:03:19

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 10:41:02AM +0200, Percy Leonhardt wrote:
> Hiya!
>
> I have a 89k-patch for KPresenter doing the following:
>
> - remove configuration-entries for pie, rectangle, picture and polygon
>   from toolbar and menus
> - rename 'Configure Pen & Brush' to 'Configure Properties' and move it
>   in the format-toolbar
> - make 'Configure Properties' the last entry in all rmb-menus
> - when selecting one object or several objects of the same kind
>   (e.g. rectangles or pies) and opening the properties-dialog you will get
>   another tab to configure your rectangle or pie
> - in styledia.cc moved the configuration for pen and brush into their own
>   classes ('ConfPenDia' and 'ConfBrushDia')
>
> Advantages:
> - we can completly remove the settings-toolbar and the corresponding
>   menu-entries
> - the rmb-menu gets clearer. No 'Configure'- and 'Properties'-entry in it,
>   only the 'Properties'-entry remains.
Takes away confusion from the user b/c the properties dialog(s) now do just
one thing; change the object you selected.  No more 'Q:I changed the properties
and nothing happened.  A:you have to select that object first'.

> Disadvantages:
> - at the moment default-settings are no longer possible (you always have
>   to select an object to get the configuration-dialog for that sort of
>   objects)

There are some ways to do this; but after this change is commited we can look
into which is best. The following comes to mind.
- on creation show the dialog and save the changes for later creations.
- add a combo to save a state and allow that to be used in other objects.
- Simply save the setting each time the dialog is OK-ed and use those settings
  when creating a new object.
- take more time to provide sane, hardcoded defaults.