List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: KWord File Format
From:       kogs () kogsman ! demon ! co ! uk
Date:       2002-04-24 9:29:54

I have solved the problem from my point of view by having two text properties for my
xml document object: Text and FormattedText which includes the TABS to produce a
pretty view, e.g.

Text property

FormattedText property
<paragraph>
    <text>
        yadda yadda yadda
    </text>
</paragraph>

As I understand it, without an xml:space="preserve" attribute, a parser would
produce an identical tree representation of both of the examples above, i.e. the
DATA child of the text node would contain the string "yadda yadda yadda".  With
xml:space="preserve", the second case would produce the string "\n        yadda
yadda yadda\n    ".

Also, without an xml:space="preserve", "yadda yadda     yadda" should be the same
as "yadda yadda yadda".  This would not be desirable in a word processor because it
is conventional to follow a "." with two spaces before starting the next sentence.

Perhaps the solution would be to leave out the xml:space attribute and define entity
references for the xml whitespace characters, " " (e.g. &kwsp), TAB (e.g. &kwtab),
\n (&kwnl) etc., and use these in the actual user document text.  Thus, the
FormattedText example above would become:

FormattedText property
<paragraph>
    <text>
        yadda&kwsp;yadda&kwsp;yadda
    </text>
</paragraph>

This would increase the size of documents somewhat.  But hell, if one is using xml,
compact documents are not a prime concern :-).

Stuart