List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: question about freeze and patch
From:       Werner Trobin <trobin () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-04-12 8:14:34

On Friday 12 April 2002 09:57, Matthias Elter wrote:
> On Friday 12 April 2002 07:58, Werner Trobin wrote:
> > All this is mentioned in the release schedule:
> > http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/koffice-1.2-release-plan.ht
> >ml
> >
> > If you have more specific questions or suggestions for the release
> > schedule please ask David, our release dude :-)
>
> I plan to continue the work on KPresenter I started during the Nuernberg
> meeting after some Trolltech work I have to do this week. Reading the
> release schedule I wounder if there really is need for a 5 month feature
> freeze!?

I'm not the release dude, but I read the following:
- temporarly frozen for Beta1 & 2, this means that we just freeze for a week
to stabilize the whole thingy a bit, release the Beta and "open" CVS again.
This is just to avoid brain-dead crash bugs in the betas (in my understanding
of this schedule).
- feature freeze for Beta3 (early June)
- final release around the end of August (maybe early September, who knows)

So we have 3 months of a freeze period. Given that this is basicly the release
plan of KOffice 1.1 (a bit shifted ;) and that the current test in the c't
magazine (KOffice 1.1.1!) notes that KOffice is unstable I think it's not too
bad to have a long freeze period.

Of course just freezing doesn't help, but I think it's neccessary to have
longer freezes than the KDE core packages as we have less developers and less
users/testers.

Disclaimer: IANTRD (I ain't not the release dude ;)

Ciao,
Werner