List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Forward/backward compatibility
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2002-03-31 16:56:37

IIRC we had a non-existent embedding technology in 1.0. We have a very very
small userbase on that platform. And we decided a long time ago that on the
subject of embedding; KO1.0 was not an issue.

Between 1.1 and HEAD (future 1.2) we should keep a compatability that allows
correct importing of 1.1 documents into 1.2

The 1.2 release (or the upcoming betas) should probably be auto-converted.
In an ideal world and al that :)
For the bigger picture please keep in mind that the file-format (the store)
will most probably change before the release of 1.2 to a zip based solution.
This means that there will be a backwards compatability issue anyway.  (i.e.
old versions of KOffice can't read new office documents at all) It would be
nice if those two issues could be merged into one solution for reading old
documents. Something like another KoStore which uses the new file format and
the new embedding technology.

Just an idea.

On Sun, Mar 31, 2002 at 05:46:44PM +0200, Werner Trobin wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Today I installed KOffice 1.0 (the one we released with KDE 2.0.1), and I also
> have KOffice 1.1.1 (the one that comes with SuSE 7.3), and HEAD of course.
>
> To make a long story short: Embedded documents are not compatible :-(
> KOffice 1.1.1 creates a different storage format (maybe you remember Shaheed's
> changes for filter embedding shortly after 1.0) than KOffice 1.0. KOffice
> from HEAD branch is compatible with 1.1.1 for now.
>
> I plan to break this compatibility even more, but I will provide scripts to
> convert these documents to 1.1.1 and 1.0 compatible ones. Is this enough, or
> do we want to have some user interface for that? If we want a UI, do we want
> a separate tool, or something in the apps or even the file dialog?
>
> Related to the recent filter test thread I just wanted to add that we will
> also need various native documents to test compatibility. Any volunteers to
> collect all kinds of documents (especially from older versions)?
>
> Then we just have to find a place where to put that (preferrably *not* CVS,
> but some ftp space, I'd say).
> Thomas: Is it possible to put that on the sourceforge space? Right now we're
> only hosting the homepage there, but IIRC it's possible to get ftp space.
>
> Ciao,
> Werner

No idea; but what about the cvs tree David made recently..  I think that is a
better spot for this.
see http://lists.kde.org/?l=koffice-devel&m=101734003318492&w=2