List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KPresenter UI redesign
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2002-03-30 21:30:29

I sent the message below some weeks ago to Percy; since I have not gotten any
reply; maybe someone else wants to take a look at these issues.
Just sent an email to percy when you do! ( Percy Leonhardt <percy@eris23.de> )

=====

> That would be a start. Tell me what needs to be done (and how it could be
> done?) and I will try to fix it.

sorry for delay; as always I have to fight for time for this kind of stuff :)

- The Outline titles are the contents of the first text box. This can be
  quite long; it would be nice to restrict it to a maximum of 12 characters.
  Something like 'The quic...azy dog'  It would be great to then have tooltips
  on those words showing the full text.
- These same outline titles should update after each keypress in that first
  text frame, not just when changing focus.
- The thumbs on the left could do with an outline to show the size of the thumb.
- When you have a really wide sidebar and 2 sheets the thumbs are shown next
  to each other. When I then make the sidebar smaller I get a horizontal scroller.
  Only after adding another slide do the thumbs resort to be one-beneath-another.
- the text used in the outline title would be great to have as a tooltip for the
  thumbs.

- All the Configure screens of special objects (pie chord etc) should be tabs
in the object properties. I don't like the popup menu on a pie chord to have
both a 'configure pie chord' and a 'properties' entry. Only the properties
should be there (and it should be at the bottom)
Take a look at koffice/lib/kotext/koParagDia.h, KoParagLayoutWidget to see how
this is solved in kword useing one interface for all config object. This makes
placing tabs easy.

- There should be an extra 'move' action which can go into the toolbars. (it
is the default now when an object is clicked)

- There are 4 dialogs about configuring objects; the format-> pen & brush etc.
These should NEVER be seen without first clicking on an object of that type.
So the menu entries have to go; the toolbar entries have to be deleted and
the entries have to be present in the properties dialog like discussed in the
previous point.

This should prove enought for now; don't hasitate to ask if you run into
trouble, but please ask on the list if it has to do with an implementation
part of kpresenter since I don't know much about that.