List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Filter and tests
From:       ennobartels () t-online ! de (Enno Bartels)
Date:       2002-03-28 23:02:39

Hi

Robert Jacolin wrote:
---------------------------
> Le Jeudi 28 Mars 2002 16:20, Enno Bartels a écrit :
> > Hi
> >
> > Robert Jacolin wrote:
> > ------------------------

> > > 2. Test filters.
> > > I think it's would be interesting to make test documents to help filter
> > > writter to test their work and to put them together in a directory. I
> > > think we have all these kind of document in our filter directory, right
?
> > > Also, we will be able to used a very large panel of document, with each
> > > one a specific problem.
> >
> > Very good
> > I thing I the cvs would be the right place for those test files - in a new
> > root directory - called koffice-test-docs.
> > With the following substructure (look at the end of the email)
> > I have separeted the winword, excel und powerpoint subdirs by their
version
> > numbering - I thing this is important - to test each version differented.
> I put them in one common directory :
>         -word
>                 - word95
>                 - word97
>Because it's the same filter AFACR, right ?
Okay - You did mean !?
           +winword
               + winword95
               + winword98
               + winword2000
               + winwordxp

> > Next I would prefer to add screenshots of each test file. I do so for the
> > applix-filters at home -> because I have no running applix-version on
> > my home pc - only at work I have one. So I can work at home at the filter
> > (if I have time) and look if the import result displayed by an koffice
> > application is correct.
> Yes, I did for my filter ! See http://elbobby.free.fr/kword/index-en.html
Very good - that's the right way to make the filter work more visible

> > If someone would start adding features to some existing filter he can see
> > the missing part on the screenshots.
> >  f I look at the screenshots of the docs displayed with applixware and
> > if I then use the import filter I can see whats badly missing.
> >
> > And of course I have about 40 testfiles for my applix filters
> > (and about 260 for the windraw filter - but thats not jet ready for
> > kontour) But I could one share the private files - not my files on work
> > -sorry!
> Doc must be specific to test some features with several difficulty for each
> feature.
> Some document with several features can be interresting but they
> are less important.
For kspread and applixword I have tested all main cell values in one test
document and it was okay - only missing doubble lined cell frames. ....

> > > Now, if we have a common directory, we can automatise (don't know if
> > >  it's a good english word) tests by a command which open all the
> > >  documents for
> > > all filters every week/month/... Also we will know always the filters
> > > status for all features (each document will test a feature, several
> > > document can test
> > > One/several feature(s) ).
> >
> > I can be automaticly generated a status file - if the application did or
> You can ? Right now ? How do you make that ?
No I can not - error in understanding that!!!!!

I can only thing that it would possible to create a html page automatic
by testing each feature maybe throught dcop etc.
AND that html page would not look like the status page. That html page
would have listed all features tested without crashing - and not if
I looks right !!!

That would be nice if someone could create scripts for this.
For this there must be a place to in the kofficetests module - maybe the
subdir "scripts".

> > did not crash - but it can not generate the information if the feature is
> > good displayed -
> Yes the result is binary (yes or no).
Did not understand !

> > > When a release will be done, the features status filters page(s) would
> > > be
> > > added in the released document.
> > >
> > > I think it's also possible to make that for koffice applications.
> >
> >  -----
> >
> >  koffice-test-docs
> >    + general
> >         + xsltfilter
> >    + kword
> >         + abiword
> >         + amipro
> >         + applixword
> >         + ascii
> >         + docbook
> >         + html
> >         + latex
> >         + mif
> >         + mswrite
> >         + palmdoc
> >         + rtf
> >         + winword95
> >         + winword97
> >         + winword2000
> >         + windordxp
> >         + wml
> >         + wordperfect
> >    + kspread
> >         + applixspread
> >         + cvs
> >         + excel95
> >         + excel97
> >         + excel2000
> >         + excelxp
> >         + gnumeric
> >         + html
> >         + qpro
> >    + kpresenter
> >         + powerpoint95
> >         + powerpoint97
> >         + powerpoint2000
> >         + powerpointxp
> >    + kontour
> >         + applixgraphics
> >         + latex
> >         + msod
> >         + svg
> >         + wmf
> >         + xfig
> >    + ...
>
> Yes and no : the directory can be :
> koffice-test-docs
>         + input
>                 + kword
>                        + parag
>                         + picture
>                         + list
>                                 - simple list
>                                 - embeded list
>                                - two lists following
>                        + header
>                         + footer
>                         + Miscellaneous (here perhaps special doc.
>                             for somes filters).
>                         - A very complex document to test all features in
> the application
>         + output
>                 + see your architecture
I do not understand to separed between in an output exactly -
I mean we can put both I one subdir. I think the idear of one subsubdir
for each feature is good, because of some more files in each test case.
Here is the resulting structure :

kofficetests
  + scripts
  + general
        + xsltfilter
             + feature1
             + feature2
             + ...
   + kword
        + abiword
              + parag
              + picture
              + list
                   - simple list
                   - embeded list
                   - two lists following
              + header
              + footer
              + Miscellaneous (here perhaps special doc.
                 for somes filters).
             + ...
        + amipro

What has/should be in each subsubdir:
 - the testfile:
     example :bla.aw

 - optional: a/some screenshots of the testfile I the original application
     example: bla01.png

 - optional: a description file of the feature test
     example: bla.txt

 - else???

And of course information has to be added on the filter status page of
http://koffice.kde.org to follow to this place (kofficetests).

Thanks
Enno Bartels