List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    RTF Export (was: Re: consequences of the interview)
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2002-03-07 22:59:11

On Thursday 07 March 2002 22:08, Lars Siebold wrote:
> > If we are talking about MS Word, I would also be perhaps good to find
> > people that would work on the RTF export filter.
> >
> > The RTF filter would be good also for other word-processors and as long
> > as we do not have a native export filter for MS Word, it is even more
> > needed!
>
> I agree RTF is probalby the second most important filter after MS Word.
> Didn't know that filter needed work, but I would be interrested in working
> on it, as the MS Word filter seems to be taken care of.
>
> Lars

There two things at least to do:
- apply the patch for non-Latin1 characters
- port the filter to libexport (KWord's Export Filter Library) if possible

1. Patch

The patch is in this thread of koffice-devel:
http://lists.kde.org/?t=101281411100001&r=1&w=2

In my answer to the patch, I had written that \u is not good for old RTF
reader, but in the meantime I have thought that the filter could use \\ if
possible (up to character 127) and then only use \u

2. Porting to libexport

It would be good if the filter was ported to libexport now if it would be
possible.

For an introduction to libexport, see the file DESIGN.html in the directory
koffice/filters/kword/libexport or at:
http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/koffice/filters/kword/libexport/DESIGN.html#import?content-type=text/html

The reason why it is a good time point is because libexport and the RTF
filter uses the same mechanism to read the KWord file. Porting it to
libexport will help to catch future modifications of the KWord file format
(and the next is coming with the images and cliparts.) Porting it later would
probably mean that libexport has evolved and that the porting will be harder.

If you have questions about libexport, just ask me! If something is missing,
we can discuss about it.

3. The Maintainer

The maintainer of the RTF export filter is/was Michael Johnson
<mikej@xnet.com> . However, he has not send any emails for long to any
KOffice mailing lists. (Does somebody knows more?)

Have a nice day/evening/night!