List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    consequences of the interview
From:       Philippe FREMY <P.FREMY () OBERTHURCS ! com>
Date:       2002-03-07 8:50:47

	Hi guys,

One of my goal with the KOffice interview was to attract attention on
KOffice, and to attract developers. Do you think it has had some effects ?

The following ideas have been floating in my mind since the interview:
- MsWord import filter is the number 1 request from KOffice users
- It is a tedious task to develop those filters
- KDE had received no help from other projects to do that
- Most of wv2 was done when Werner was paid by Caldera
- I have heard about a paypal account for the KDE ev

You can probably follow my thought.

I would like to provide a way for people who really want MsWord import
filter to help their development by donating money. When a sufficient amount
of money has been reached, one filter developer could be paid for let's say
one month, to work on them.

I am aware of the following problems:

- people will think KDE is begging for money:
Well, we all work for free here and are not begging for money. But if people
wants to help the project by donating money because they can't donate code,
I have no problem with this. All help of any kind is welcome.

- nobody will want to get paid paid for this:
Again, we all work for free and one can argue that it would be unfair to pay
some people and not others. But we have to see it as a public contract.
There is a need, it can be funded, someone can take the job.

- we won't reach the minimal amount to pay someone: in that case, let's
leave the money in the KDE ev, it will certainly be useeful. But if 400
people give 5 euros, this makes 2000 euros which sounds like a very good
summer job to me.

- how much would the developer be paid ? We have to decide on this.

- who would take the job ? I have been talking with Werner and he didn't
seem to have the time to take this job. I want someone that I am sure could
make the job. I'll trust the KOffice team entirely on that matter.

What do you think ?

	regards,

	Philippe

ps: please include me in your replies, because I am not subscribed.