Hi guys, One of my goal with the KOffice interview was to attract attention on KOffice, and to attract developers. Do you think it has had some effects ? The following ideas have been floating in my mind since the interview: - MsWord import filter is the number 1 request from KOffice users - It is a tedious task to develop those filters - KDE had received no help from other projects to do that - Most of wv2 was done when Werner was paid by Caldera - I have heard about a paypal account for the KDE ev You can probably follow my thought. I would like to provide a way for people who really want MsWord import filter to help their development by donating money. When a sufficient amount of money has been reached, one filter developer could be paid for let's say one month, to work on them. I am aware of the following problems: - people will think KDE is begging for money: Well, we all work for free here and are not begging for money. But if people wants to help the project by donating money because they can't donate code, I have no problem with this. All help of any kind is welcome. - nobody will want to get paid paid for this: Again, we all work for free and one can argue that it would be unfair to pay some people and not others. But we have to see it as a public contract. There is a need, it can be funded, someone can take the job. - we won't reach the minimal amount to pay someone: in that case, let's leave the money in the KDE ev, it will certainly be useeful. But if 400 people give 5 euros, this makes 2000 euros which sounds like a very good summer job to me. - how much would the developer be paid ? We have to decide on this. - who would take the job ? I have been talking with Werner and he didn't seem to have the time to take this job. I want someone that I am sure could make the job. I'll trust the KOffice team entirely on that matter. What do you think ? regards, Philippe ps: please include me in your replies, because I am not subscribed. _______________________________________________ koffice-devel mailing list koffice-devel@mail.kde.org http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/koffice-devel