List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    KSpread sheet size (was: Question to use of malloc in KSpread)
From:       "Pascal A. Niklaus" <Pascal.Niklaus () unibas ! ch>
Date:       2002-03-03 22:44:12

>The new limitation will 2^15 x 2^15 fields.

I have not followed all of this thread, but would like to add a comment on
spreadsheet sizes. I am using spreadsheets since many years in my
scientific work. In my experience, there are quite a few cases when
actually *more* than 2^15 rows would be desirable, be it only temporarily.
For example it is sometimes convenient to edit data which was automatically
logged by some device. Such data often consists of just a few columns, but
*many* rows. A file with more than 2^15 rows therefore does not have to be
enormous in terms of memory consumptions. A data base is maybe more
appropriate for that kind of data, but sometimes it is convenient to edit
it in a spreadsheet.

It would therefore maybe pay not to limit spreadsheet size to 2'15 rows but
to add a level 3 cluster.

Just my 2 cents

Pascal