List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Template Wizard in dcop
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2002-03-02 0:51:57

On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 12:43:35AM +0000, Chris Howells wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 February 2002 10:02, Thomas Zander wrote:
>
> > My thoughts on this subject are that I would like to see general macros in
> > KWord. Where you can 'plug' in a list of macros (either coming with the
> > distro or user- installed). A new 'macro' menu would seem appropriate.
> > Think along the lines of a macro that would add a nice layout to a table or
> > a page. But (almost) anything is possible.
>
> Interesting idea. But what about KSpread, KPresener, et al? Would you add a
> macro menu to these apps as well? IMHO, a dcop based system might be easier
> to implement for different apps.

It uses DCOP, but an external programming language, one with DCOP bindings.

> > In that world I don't like the templates analogy very much. Keep one way of
> > providing templates; not two. The wizard would be much better for changing
> > an allready created page.
>
> Hrm, but would you not agree that for something like business cards, a wizard
> asking stuff like business name would be much better? Otherwise, the template
> would simply have to have a place-holder saying "Your Business Name Here"
> which would probably be a pain for the user, and a pay for i18n purposes.
>
> I'm not sure that I understand why you'd want to modify an existing page.

First make a A4 page and then run the macro; the macro would place 8 cards
on there (if the normal size cards is used)
Create an A3 and another amount is created, with the same script. Since you
have a printer that happens to print A3s

But don't think just this small kind of 'creational' stuff; think things like
a macro that makes your table layout. It colors the header and puts lines
around the whole thing.  A set of macros can be made to do things like this
which can then be combined to do what ever you want.