List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KPresenter: Moving forward
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-02-25 16:44:08

On Sunday 24 February 2002 08:32, Martin Wolters wrote:
> KPresenter developer,
>
> I just installed KDE3 beta 2 and compiled/installed KOffice (CVS head). My
> goal is to help testing kpresenter and improve kpresenter's documentation. (I
> am already talking to Lauri & Co. on coordinating this effort) Here a few
> questions:
>
> a) Is it too early to send test results? Are you done adding new features and
> are you already looking for bugs etc.? Which areas will most likely not
> change anymore with regard to their functionality?

If you leave out headers/footers and if you update to get the recent fixes from
Laurent for sticky objects, feel free to report any problems.
Most of KPresenter's features should work again now, it's time to look at bugs.

This doesn't mean we're done adding features, KOffice is far from feature-frozen,
but fixing any regressions before moving on is always a good thing to do.

> b)  I suggest to display only the following toolbars after starting
> kpresenter: file, edit, text.

Yes we need to reduce the number of initial toolbars. I think Thomas Zander
plans to come up with a more detailed suggestion for the UI.

> c) I like the thumbs and the additional text features. (Are you planning to
> support paragraph styles as well? That will be *extremely* helpful).

I was wondering if there was a demand for it.
This shouldn't be too hard to add - BTW, any volunteers ? The code is
in libkotext already, you just need to add load/save code from KWord and
the UI for it. The style editor is in libkotext already too !

> d) I do have troubles reading old kpresenter files. Is that a "known feature"?

OUCH. Really ? That's a bug, and that must be looked at with priority.
Can you send me such a file ? [Not to the list, might be too big]

> (I should mention that I could not successfully compile koffice/filters.
> Maybe that's a related problem.)
Nope, that's about other file formats.

http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david, http://www.konqueror.org
KDE 3.0: Konquering the Desktops