List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Minimising XML output in KWord import filters
From:       Clarence Dang <CTRL_CD () bigpond ! com>
Date:       2002-02-16 10:50:20

Hi,

I'm trying to speed up the mswrite filter by cutting down on the XML output.
Unfortunately, I'm not quite sure what XML I can and can't leave out.
So, I have a few questions (someone please answer them!):

1. From the DTD, "Some special characters ('<', '>', '&') are "escaped"
('&lt;', '&gt;', '&amp;')":

a) The DTD, does not explicitly define what special characters are escaped.
IMHO, this is a fault in the DTD and should be fixed (I can only smile if
asked for a patch :) because it's been a long time since I've written a DTD).

b) Related to a): Do I have to do &apos; and &quot?
What about &copy; and other HTML (not XML) entities?

2. Can I leave out "#IMPLIED" attributes?

Can I assume that the defaults for "#IMPLIED" attributes won't change any
time soon?

3. Can I leave out "#REQUIRED" attributes?

I have noticed that even KWord produces XML that leaves out so-called
"#REQUIRED" attributes (the best example is the PAGEBREAKING tag).

3. Can I leave out tags that the document doesn't use -- and depend on KWord
defaults?

E.g. suppose that the entire document had normal linespacing, can I leave out
"<LINESPACING />" in "<LAYOUT>" and hope that KWord does normal linespacing
(even if I don't define a style with normal linespacing)?

Thanks!
Clarence