List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    (forw) Re: Question about your KPresenter's review
From:       "Eric S. Raymond" <esr () thyrsus ! com>
Date:       2002-02-14 4:27:37

Still DNS troubles...

From: Catherine Olanich Raymond <cathy@thyrsus.com>
To: David Faure <david@mandrakesoft.com>, <koffice-devel@mail.kde.org>
Subject: Re: Question about your KPresenter's review
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 23:25:10 -0500
Cc: "Eric S. Raymond" <esr@thyrsus.com>, landley@trommello.org

On Tuesday 12 February 2002 05:09 am, David Faure wrote:

> > > I don't think it's a good idea to write documentation about "a crippled
> > > UI".
> >
> > Did Eric refer to the UI as "crippled"?  I don't believe that I did.
>
> No, but that doesn't prevent me from doing it ;)

True enough.  However, I would not go that far.  :-)

By the way, I spent 5 minutes at the office refreshing my recollection
somewhat about how MS PowerPoint handles text editing.  The answer is that it
does not work quite like KPresenter.

With KPresenter, after you place a text box in the slide you always have to
double click to enter text into the box.

With PowerPoint, when the text box is first created, it is automatically open
for the entry of text.  However, if you wish to enter more text after you
have finished typing and moved the cursor away from the text box, you *then*
have to double click inside the text box to put the text box back into text
entry mode.

Having the text box be immediately open to text as soon as the box is created
feels more natural and (for me) makes the program easier to use.

> > However, it's not my understanding that a complete overhaul of KPresenter
> > is contemplated (if I'm mistaken, let me know!).  KPresenter is out
> > there.  It's available to users, and users are encountering it.  Users
> > other than me, Eric and Rob likely are having problems with it.  Some of
> > those problems could be lessened by improving the documentation.
> > Lessening those problems in that manner would, I believe, create goodwill
> > for KPresenter/KDE generally by demonstrating the development team's
> > interest in helping the program work better for the users.
>
> I certainly hope we can fix the UI before the next KOffice release.

I do too.  :-)

Another component of my comment is the implicit assumption that it would be
faster and simpler to improve the documentation than to "fix the UI."  That
would at least make the present version of KPresenter easier to use.  Just a
thought.

--
Cathy Raymond <cathy@thyrsus.com>

"The meeting of personalities is like the contact of chemical substances;
if there is any reaction, both are transformed."  Carl Jung