aleXXX : > > It looks far too much as though you have concentrated > > on surface gloss without thinking carefully about architecture and > > design principles and flexibility for future modification. > > Well, I suggest you look at some code before you make such statements. I'm certainly willing to be convinced I'm wrong about this. But the evidence so far is at best mixed. > Yes, right. My first action is also always to disable some toolbars. > > > It's like a bad parody of Microsoft Windows, > > or rather what Windows would be like if Microsoft didn't do any > > end-user testing (that is, an even *worse* pile of crap than it is > > now). > > You know that calling software "an even worse pile of crap" might sound a > little bit insulting to some people ? I meant that *Windows* would be an even worse pile of crap without end-user testing. I presume you won't mind my insulting Microsoft. :-) > > Here's another one. You have many pulldown entries that duplicate > > icon functions. Why? > > Toolbars are optional, all actions have to be accessible via the menus. > How do you want to use a toolbar using the keyboard ? Actually, I would advocate disabling the toolbars by default, not the pulldowns. > Don't tell us what we have to learn or what we desperately need to > read, please. We are always open to suggestions, as long as they > are expressed in some positive way. In English we refer to my admittedly rather blunt remarks as a "wake-up call". In truth, I was unpleasantly surprised by what I found. I expected better. Given that KDE's stated goal is to build an end-user-accessible desktop, I would expect your group to have paid more attention to sound UI design principles. Some of you have. Kmail has a clean, effective UI. It makes Cathy happy. Kpresenter is at the opposite extreme. Most KDE software seems to me to be somewhere between those in quality of UI documentation. > Well, docs are fine, but another rule says "1. Users don't read > documentation. 2. Users don't read anything, not even message boxes" (from > "Joel on UI Design for programmers") Cathy is an end user. She wanted decent documentation, couldn't find it, and was seriously hampered by its absence. And if you think I have been rude, you don't want to be in the same county when *she* expresses her opinions on this subject. Contemptuous laughter was the least of it. An ounce of this kind of experience is worth a pound of theory that users don't read documentation. -- Eric S. Raymond _______________________________________________ koffice-devel mailing list koffice-devel@mail.kde.org http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/koffice-devel