List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Question about your KPresenter's review
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-02-10 13:15:49

> Cathy is an end user.  She wanted decent documentation, couldn't find it,
> and was seriously hampered by its absence.

The documentation is being worked on - by the very brave team of
documentation writers. Have a look at koffice/doc/kpresenter on
webcvs.kde.org. But since the UI needs to be improved first, as you noted
(same work as the one that was done on KWord, cleaning up menus and
toolbars), it'd be a better idea to do that first, before finishing the
documentation.

The sound effect when switching pages is already implemented in CVS -
thanks to Toshitaka Fujioka.
Changing the font properties of a whole object at once is done too
(hmm, this reminds me I still have a patch for doing the same thing in
KWord to test and apply).
The current work on KPresenter includes zoom support, and using the same
text-formatting object as KWord, bringing WYSIWYG, more fine-grained
text-formatting options (e.g. different types of paragraph in the same
text object etc.)

Blinking text: this is the first request I see for this. Obviously not
such a showstopper as you seem to think. Can be done in libkotext, with a
timer to hide/show the text, I suppose.

KOffice's main problem is the lack of developers. We're doing what we can,
but building a complete office suite takes time.
Bashing the work that has been done, the way you did, is quite impolite
and doesn't really motivate people to improve the application.

"K Presenter was extremely frustrating to learn and rather limited."
really surprised me. I have been doing more than 12 presentations with
KPresenter - see http://perso.mandrakesoft.com/~david/, and I found it
quite a nice application to use. (Ok, I did fix anything that wasn't
working the way I wanted, and added a few features while doing those
presentations ;). It needs improvements - which is under way - but really,
I was always considering KPresenter one of the best applications for
making presentations.

David.